There are three stages to get FULL motorbike licence in New Zealand: Start from Learner Licence > Restricted Licence > Full Licence. You are legally to ride a motorbike with any one of those licences. If you want to know more about how to get a Motorcycle Licence, check the official website: Motorcycles | NZ Transport Agency. Here is a blog that records how I’ve got my Learner Licence.
Stage #1: Basic Handling Skills Test
I’ve got my Learner Licence in few days ago. The first test I took was called Basic Handling Skills Test. You have to register and book a test online via agency website. Once you book the test successfully, all you have to do is to be there on time. Here is a YouTube video that will show you what exact the test looks like:
This is the venue for testing. My bike and equipment was provided!
And… of course a selfie.
After your completion (approximately 1 hour) the examiner will write you a certificate, there is no expiry date for it. The next thing you have to do is to bring this certificate and go for Theory Test.
Stage #2: Learner Licence Theory Test
If you are foreigner and you want to take Learner Licence Theory Test: Make sure to bring bank statement along with passport and the certificate (Basic Handling Skills Test).
Go any of AA centre and tell them you want to apply for Motorbike Licence, you will need to fill out a form with basic information and do the eyesight test, then the staff will take a portrait of you. And if you are lucky you can take the theory test after this. Once you pass the test the staff will issue you a temporary learner licence and then you will be all set on road!
How to prepare for the Theory Test
You can read this official recommended road code for motorcyclists but it’s not that helpful for test: The official New Zealand road code for motorcyclists. What I suggest you to do is go through the free mock test and keep practice until you have at least 99% correct answers: Free NZ Road Code Quizzes for Your Motorbike Licence Test. I know there are so many questions need to review, but think if you fail the test like me in the first time, I then spent another $45.7 to resit!
Here is a picture I took in AA centre. It is small but include everything you need.
My Costs of Learner Licence
These are the compulsory costs you can’t avoid.
- Basic Handling Skills Test: $110 (It may varies depends on the agency you choose)
- Learner Licence Application: $48.20
- Learner Licence Theory Test: $45.70
- Resit Learner Licence Theory Test: $45.70 (You don’t have to do this if you are lucky)
- Learner Licence L Plate: $10.00 (Optional)
@ New Zealand | 新西兰
- 新西兰WHV记（准备篇）住宿：Flatmates, YHA, BBH, HelpX
- 新西兰WHV记#1 飞往奥克兰 机场WIFI限流量仅免费45分钟！
- 新西兰WHV记#2 奥克兰初印象之市中心
- 新西兰WHV记#3 奥克兰初印象之市郊Onehunga（Street Photo）
- 新西兰WHV记#4 在国外按喇叭会怎样？办理银行卡、途遇路怒症
- 新西兰WHV记#5 把奥克兰尽收眼底的One Tree Hill, Cornwall Park
- 新西兰WHV记#6 搬回奥克兰市中心 聊新西兰英语
- 新西兰WHV记#7 当心流浪汉！谈谈奥克兰的治安怎么样
- 奥克兰市中心照片 Auckland Street Photography 20180329
- 新西兰WHV记#8 暴走奥克兰市郊 Ponsonby, Grey Lynn
- 新西兰WHV记#9 这才是我心中的教堂
- 新西兰WHV记#10 我的第一份工作 说说在新西兰找IT工作
- 新西兰WHV记#11 奥克兰市区唯一一家KFC
- 新西兰WHV记#12 Meetup
- 新西兰WHV记#13 在新西兰兼职了一个月厨房帮手，一共赚了……
- 新西兰WHV记#14 步行奥克兰海边 沿着Tamaki Dr去往Mission Bay
- 新西兰WHV记#15 闲聊也能聊出工作机会？Manurewa初印象
- 新西兰WHV记#16 新西兰治安怎么样？看看当地人怎么说
- 新西兰WHV记#17 这才是打工度假的样子嘛！我成了流水线工人
- How To Get Motorbike Licence NZ | My Costs of Learner Licence